Empanadas & Chickpea Salad
Empanadas are sure to please every pallete in your family; well at least it’s true for my family of 5. I have 3 kids, one of which is a vegetarian and the others are meat eaters. Being that Empanadas are versatile and you can stuff these round, flaky, dough disc with just about anything, you’re sure to find a “ filling” for everyone! You can even make dessert empanadas, turning the dough disc into a yummy turnover pastry!
- 1 Package of Goya dough disc or more depending on size of family. ( this method is the easiest, unless you want to venture and make the dough from scratch… I’ll have to post up the recipe on that another time!)
- 1-2 lbs of ground beef ( or any other type of filling, I stuff my vegetarian daughters’ empanadas with cheese)
- Salt ( about 1- 2 tsp ; more or less to suit your taste) Plus additional 1-2 tsp for chick peas
- Garlic powder ( about 1-2 tsp; more or less to suit your taste)
- Pepper ( about 1 tsp; more or less to suit your taste) Plus additional 1tsp for chick peas
- Additionally you can add things like – bell pepper, onions, or really any other ingredient you’d like! This filling is just a simple quick weekday fix
- Fork ( for smashing the tips and creating that infamous “ fan” appearance
- Olive oil for frying , Plus a skillet for frying
- Skillet for meat
- Bowl for salad
- 1 29oz can of Goya chick peas ( or any other brand , you can double the recipe to suit)
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 bushel of cilantro
- 3 TBSP of coconut oil or olive oil
- 1-2 TBSP of lemon juice
Directions for Empanadas –
- First you’ll want to defrost your dough disc so they’re nice and soft ( a good 2-3 hours ahead of time)
- In a skillet, heated to medium high add your ground beef, salt, pepper , garlic ( and any other additional ingredients) cook the ground beef throughly to a nice brown. Once done, remove skillet from hot burner and get ready to fill!
- Grab a dough disc and begin to fill it with ground beef, be generous but be sure not to pack it in too much, and not be able to seal it.
- Once you’ve placed meat in the middle of disc fold over one end to meet the other end, and sinch it together with your fingers.
- Grab your fork and with the pointy edges depress down on the tips/rims of the disc that you just sinched together with your fingers. To create the lines/ fan look. Be sure to do this on both sides.
- Once you’re done stuffing all of them, warm up a skillet of olive oil on medium high.
- Place empanadas in the skillet cook until golden brown, usually 1-2 mins each side, depending how hot your oil is.
- Set cooked empanadas on a plate with paper towels to soak up extra oil.
Directions for Chickpea Salad-
- Drain your chick peas.
- Pour in your bowl.
- Dice up your tomato.
- Dice up half the bushel of cilantro.
- Sprinkle your salt and pepper.
- Add your oil of choice ( either olive oil or coconut oil).
- Pour in your lemon juice.
- Mix well.
** I don’t measure when I cook, so I’ve given the best estimates as possible.**
Hope you enjoy! – Shovan’s Recipe, for Shobella Chic By Shovan at Home
VIDEO CAN BE SEEN ON MY INSTAGRAM- Shobellachicbyshovan